Benfica Open Talks Over Shoya Nakajima


Portuguese heavyweights Benfica are interested in Japanese Under-23 international Shoya Nakajima.

The 23-year-old attack-oriented midfielder who can occupy a number of positions in the final third has caught the eye of the Portuguese Eagles with his fine displays for Portimonense this season.

Nakajima joined the Portuguese outfit on loan in 2017 and has thus far made 11 league appearances during which he bagged six goals. The Japanese international has been in impressive overall form this season and has emerged as one of the highly-regarded prospects in Portugal.

Shoya Nakajima is under contract with Portimonense until the end of the season but the newcomers to Primeira Liga already possess 20% of his contract whereas the remaining 80% still belongs to his parent club FC Tokyo.

Benfica are said to have already opened talks with Portimonense and are willing to acquire their share of Nakajima’s contract and hopefully land the player outright during the January transfer market.